GCFC v Raynes Park Vale SPORTS

Guildford City FC 0 – Raynes Park Vale 1 @ Guildford Spectrum (08.10.14)

City fell to a disappointing defeat against Raynes Park Vale at Guildford Spectrum on Wednesday night in a match that frankly had very few highlights. The game actually had the look of a goalless draw, but in the end a solitary goal from Asi Okai after 37 minutes was enough to give Raynes Park the points.

The visitors are heroes of the Combined Counties League FA Cup after disposing of the Ryman League’s Ramsgate and only narrowly losing at Billericay, despite having just ten men for the majority of the match. Raynes Park also possess the league’s meanest defence and that was evident in this game after they kept another clean sheet. Fresh from an enterprising and attacking performance at Cove, the City attack found themselves blunted by the highly organised and efficient Vale backline.

Both sides failed to settle into the game in the early stages, but it was Guildford City who had the first serious attack on goal. Edward Boateng surged forward from midfield and was brought down some 30 yards out from goal. Ben Rayner took the resulting free-kick and debutant centre-back Jordan Phillips glanced the ball wide. The visitors had a similar opportunity when Tommy Tydeman halted a Vale attack in vigorous fashion, but the Paul Roberts resultant free-kick was drilled just wide. Midway through the half, after careful approach play, Carlton Murray-Price played Ben Rayner through at an angle but he was caught off balance and his early effort curled just wide.

Much of the threat at either end was coming from set pieces and on 30 minutes, Ed Boateng’s free-kick was comfortably saved by Sam Filler, whilst two minutes later, Vale’s Shane McEntaggart lifted his shot over the bar after a corner. Unfortunately, City’s fortunes and the final result were determined by two contrasting moments, both on 37 minutes. Firstly, Anthony Baker’s long throw into the box was back headed by Carlton Murray-Price onto the back post, where it rebounded out and was cleared. Then within seconds the ball was at the other end and Vale had space on the left to cross the ball into the six yard box where it fell to Ato Okai at the back post, who drilled home through a mass of bodies.

HALF-TIME: Guildford City FC 0 – Raynes Park Vale 1 (Okai)

GCFC v Raynes Park Vale 2

The match continued in the same vein after the interval with few clear chances created at either end, although in truth it was Vale that looked the most likely to add to their lead. Anthony Baker had a good opportunity when he collected Khari Oriogun’s pin point free-kick in the six yard box, but the ball ran away from him as he tried to get a shot away. Then, on the hour, Carlton Murray-Price came close when he headed Oriogun’s corner just over.

With City still probing for an equaliser, Tommy Tydeman tracked back after losing possession in midfield to make a fantastic covering tackle in the box which kept City in the game. Guildford’s approach became more desperate as the game came to its conclusion and Murray-Price saw an effort go just wide after he shot on the turn from the edge of the box. Perhaps City’s best chance fell in the last minute when a deft touch from Ryan Wallis set up Murray-Price in a good position, but sadly his powerful effort passed just the wrong side of the post. A very disappointing night all round.

Team: Antony Hall, Anthony Bridgeman (Liam Talbot 85), Cory Knight, Jordan Phillips, Tommy Tydeman (Navid Zandi 72), Ben Rayner, Anthony Baker, Edward Boateng, Carlton Murray-Price, Khari Oriogun (Ryan Wallis 80), Bruce McPhail. Unused subs: Junior Alade, George Baldwin.

Referee: Luis Pinto Nunes
Attendance: 73

Barry Underwood